a DIY essential oil blend
Cold and flu season is upon us! The best way to survive it is to have a strong, healthy immune system. Incorporating aromatherapy into your daily life is a great way to build your immune system, clear germs from the air, clean surfaces, kill bacteria and viruses, and promote deep sleep. If you do come down with a cold or the flu, the same essential blend can help to clear congestion, reduce fevers, promote relaxation, relieve headaches, boost energy, and relieve coughs. Other things to consider are elderberry syrup, echinacea, eating lots of fruits and vegetables (especially ginger and garlic), drinking extra water, and getting plenty of rest.
Listen to your body during cold and flu season, it knows best.
In this recipe, we will be using Clove, Lemon, Eucalyptus, and Orange essential oils. Clove is known for its strong antibacterial and anti-infectious properties. It is also great for the respiratory system. Lemon purifies the air, helps prevent infectious illnesses, decreases headaches, and improves fatigue. Eucalyptus globulus is antibacterial, anti-infective, and helps clear sinus and chest congestion. Orange is an air purifier and promotes balance within the mind, body, and soul.
Cold & Flu Fighter Recipe
60 drops Clove essential oil
56 drops Lemon essential oil
19 drops Eucalyptus essential oil (preferably Eucalyptus globulus)
75 drops Orange essential oil
Place the essential oils listed above in the 10ml bottle and gently swirl the bottle for about 1 minute.
How to Use
This blend can be used in a variety of ways to clean the air, disinfect surfaces, and build your immune system. A few ideas:
- Diffuser – Place 8-12 drops of this blend in a diffuser to clean the air.
- Room Spritzer – Fill a 2oz spray bottle with water. Add 20 drops of this blend, shake well, and spritz around the room to clean the air. Shake before each use.
- Surface Cleaner – Fill a 2oz spray bottle with 1oz water and 1oz vinegar. Add 20 drops of this blend, shake well, and use to clean surfaces. Shake before each use.
- Inhaler – Place 30 drops of this blend in a bowl. Place the cotton pad from an inhaler in the bowl to absorb the oil. Using a tweezers, place the cotton pad back in the inhaler and put the cap on tightly. Use as needed throughout the day when you feel you are coming down with a cold or the flu.
- Steam Inhalation – Boil 2 cups of water and pour into a glass bowl with 3 drops of this essential oil blend. With your face over the bowl, focus on deep breathing for 3-5 minutes. This will boost your immune system and clear congestion.
*Do not apply this blend to the face or near the face of children under 5 years old. For external use only.
A certified aromatherapist as well as a holistic health and lifestyle coach, Sammi Boerner is driven by her past struggles with weight, anxiety/panic disorder, and insomnia. She is currently working on an Integrative Nutrition Health Coaching certification.